home          about me          my photog website          my facebook fan page          contact

5.27.2010

The perfect time...

It takes alot to move me to tears, but I came across something today that hit home so hard that I just had to share. A fellow photographer shared something on her blog about all the reasons we choose not to have our pictures taken (I am guilty of this as well, I am a huge fan of being behind the camera, not so much in front of it). This posting though, shed some insight into why right now might be the perfect time! Please read and pass it on if you feel it touched you the way it did me. Thank you deb schwedhelm for sharing this amazing story.

Here is the link for her post

http://www.debsphotographs.com/photoblog/?p=957

and the story follows...

is there a perfect time?
May 13, 2010

a friend posed this question today on her facebook wall: what is holding you back from booking a family photo session?

quite a few women (moms) quickly commented that their weight is holding them back, which made me really sad. and a few posted money, which i understand but i also believe that there’s enough photographers out there to cover everybody’s budget.

this all led me to thinking about the perfect time.

is there ever a perfect time to have photographs taken of your family?

i posted on our wallflower friends blog today about an awesome article i read, which had the overall theme of taking the time to slow down and appreciate life and the everyday beauty that surrounds us. in a swirly kind of way, i feel what i shared there and what i’m sharing here is totally intertwined.

it’s so easy to say –
i’m too fat.
i have too much going on.
we’re too busy.
maybe next year.

but i just want to say STOP IT! we need to take the time to appreciate the value of family photos, if not for ourselves (because we’re too fat or whatever), then for our children. in 20 years, your children are not going to say,

i really love this photo of my family but i wish my mom had waited until she lost some weight.

and i think about steve’s mom, who died when she was 40, only months after being diagnosed with breast cancer. steve was five at the time she passed away. he cherishes every single photo of his mom (not just the ones where she was thin, beautiful and looked perfect).

and kirsten sandstrom, who recently passed away at the age of 37, leaving behind a husband and three young boys. i don’t think for one second that those boys will look at photographs of their mom (who pre-cancer probably wished she could have lost some weight) and see her as anything except the most amazing and beautiful mom there ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart Faces

The Maternal lens